The Brigham Young University Dietetic Internship (DI) participates in the pre-select option to computer matching. In the pre-selection process, the program will select eight students per year who have met the admission requirements for the DI. The internship has two tracks: 1) Internship only track and 2) Combined Internship with Masters track. In 2016-17 two (2) students will be selected in the Internship Only track and six (6) students in the Combined Internship with Masters track. The deadline for application submission to either track is January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain time (11:59 pm ET). Applicants will be notified on or before February 1 confirming his or her acceptance status in the program.
If pre-selected, the applicant's name and email are submitted by February 1 to D&D Digital Systems, Inc. to ensure that the applicant will not participate in the April computer match. If the applicant is not selected through the pre-select process, he/she may apply to any other DI through the computer matching process. D&D Digital Systems may be contacted at (515) 292-0490 or email@example.com
Admission requirements and prerequisites
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Dietetics from Brigham Young University’s accredited undergraduate dietetics program.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.2 with no grade lower than a B- in any NDFS course or C- in other major courses
- 1,000 hours of dietetics-related work and/or volunteer experience
- Combined GRE Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning score of 300 and ≥4.0 on the Analytic Writing test
- Personal interview with the selection committee
Combined Internship Masters Track: Applicants must submit two applications: 1) Application through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) and 2) Application through BYU Graduate Studies.
Internship only Track: Applicants must submit one application through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS).
Interview (both tracks): 2017 interviews will be Wednesday January 18, 2017 between 8 am to 1 pm MST.
1. Indicate Track Desired Both tracks (Internship only and Combined Internship Masters) must submit this information.
- Click this link to indicate track you want to be considered for https://byu.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d4if6Aaz2G9bQHP
- Complete information on link by January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET)
- Information required
- Full name
- Track or tracks you want to be considered for
- Internship track only (completed DICAS application)
- Combined DI Masters track only (Complete DICAS and BYU Graduate School application)
- Either Internship only OR Combined DI Masters Track (Complete DICAS and BYU Graduate School application)
2. Sign-up for an Interview
Interviews will be Wednesday January 18, 2017 between 8 am to 1 pm MST. Click here to sign-up for an interview time.
3. Complete a DICAS Application Both tracks (combined DI Masters and Internship only) must complete a DICAS application
- Complete an application in the DICAS Online Applicant Portal https://portal.dicas.org/ by January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET).
- Document GRE scores in DICAS
- Submit GRE scores to BYU on or before January 15
- Request a BYU transcript to be sent to:
- Dr. Pauline Williams, PhD, RDN, CD electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org. The transcript must be an official transcript and sent directly sent from BYU. The transcript should not be “issued to student”.
- This transcript request is in addition to the DICAS transcript request form
- In the DICAS system list four people who will give you a recommendation
- Two BYU Dietetics faculty members from your undergraduate program; faculty recommendations may choose to provide a verbal recommendation
- If not selected for the BYU internship and applying to other internships faculty will need to submit a written recommendation to DICAS
- Two work supervisors; recommendations should be submitted by the Jan 15 deadline
- Submit a $45 DICAS application fee to DICAS by January 15
- If not accepted at BYU, you can then use the DICAS system to apply to other internship(s) by February 15, with an additional $20 fee per program
- Submit a $30 BYU application fee on or before Jan 15 at 5 pm Mountain Time. This fee is separate from the DICAS fee. Normal office hours are 8 am to 5 pm MST Monday-Friday; closed weekends and holidays. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday the fee must be recieved before the deadline during normal office hours.
- The fee must be a check made out to “Dietetics Education;” we cannot accept cash or credit/debit cards
- Bring the $30 fee in an envelope, with your name, to the NDFS secretary in S-221 ESC
- OR mail the $30 check to Dietetic Internship Program, S-221 ESC, Provo, UT 84602
- Indicate your name with the check
4. Complete BYU Graduate Studies Application if applying to the graduate track. Applicants for the Combined DI Masters track must complete this application in addition to the DICAS application.
- Complete an application through BYU Graduate Studies http://gradstudies.byu.edu by January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET).
- Apply for the MS in Nutritional Science and Dietetics (aka MS Nutritional Science)
- Obtain and submit an Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Submit GRE scores to BYU by January 15
- In the BYU system list three people who will give you a recommendation. Select the three people from the four you listed in the DICAS system application
- Two work supervisors and one BYU Dietetics faculty
- Inform recommenders to download and save the DICAS recommendation and then upload that form into the BYU system
- Both faculty and work recommendations must be upload by Jan 15 deadline
- Pay all fees related to the Graduate Studies application